20 maiDiabetes Patient Focus Meeting20 mai 2014
The goal of the Diabetes Patient Focus meeting is to focus on identifying research & development (R&D) gaps in the diabetes area from the perspective of patient needs and challenges. During the day, we will explore briefly the diabetes research landscape as it exists now and discuss the most pressing needs of patients that are not being addressed. Ultimately we envision that this input will guide decisions on future topics on diabetes in IMI and in JDRF’s activities. Putting patients at the centre of the discussion with researchers and industry will give them the opportunity to become an influential force for priority setting in disease research.
The meeting aims to cover the whole spectrum of diabetes and go beyond the typical type 1 and 2 classifications. In particular it will be interesting to explore the commonalities between the different metabolic disorders, their causes and current therapies. This will be complemented by the patients’ perspective on what is still needed for the future and discussions with both scientists and industry on how this can be achieved.
The meeting will feature high-level speakers from academia and industry describing the disease itself, its different aspects, complexities as well as its causes. Patients will focus on their experience of the disease and the challenges they face. The meeting will also include the clinician's point of view and elaborate on how to ensure diabetes research is more patient-centric.
IMI has a number of projects focusing on various aspects of diabetes. Representatives of those projects will describe how they are already addressing patients’ needs and a discussion will take place with patients on the best approaches for more personalised treatments in the future.
Finally the meeting will discuss potential directions for diabetes research within Europe from the perspective of patients, the European Commission and the pharmaceutical industry and will aim to achieve alignment of those priorities.
Registration & agenda
- Registration is now open and is free but obligatory. Please complete the short online regsitration form here and remember to bring along your e-mail confirmation in order to collect your badge.
- For more information about the event programme, please download the preliminary agenda
- Attendees are also welcome to attend IMI's Stakeholder Forum will be held at the same venue on Wednesday 21 May. Registration for the Stakeholder Forum will open shortly.
- Michel Goldman, IMI Executive Director
- Richard Insel, Chief Scientific Officer, JRDF
- John Bowis OBE, former UK Minister of Health and MEP
- Annemarie Bevers, patient
- Chantal Mathieu, Clinician, University of Leuven
- Leif Groop, Professor, Lund University
- Philip J. Larsen, Global Head of Diabetes Research & Translational Medicine, Sanofi
- Henning Nielsen, patient
- Werner Kramer, Sanofi
- Birgit Steckel-Hamann, Lilly
- Harriet Teare, DIRECT project officer, Centre for Health, Law and Emerging Technologies, Oxford
- Elisabeth Peers, Sanofi
- Kyle Rose, patient
- Olivier Arnaud, European Director of Research, JDRF
Please follow this link to the event page where you will find the agenda and can register for the meeting: